Motocross

All it takes, however, is a quick Google search to realise that moto is very much in the conversation when it comes to the toughest sports on the planet. Multiple studies have been made throughout the years that put the likes of boxing, gymnastics and water polo at the top of their lists. And while the niche nature of motocross has often meant that it’s been excluded from such studies, if you take a look at a top-class MX racer in his prime, you’ll struggle to find a finer athlete in better physical shape.

The extremities that the body faces during a 35-minute motocross race mean that amateur and pro racers must be in tip-top physical condition. Heart rates are pushed to the max, every muscle group is needed and used to the extreme, flexibility is essential, core strength is a must and upper body and leg strength are called upon just to hold onto the machine.

But it’s hard to compare to other sports. Some people try to compare the racers to runners or footballers, but it’s just so different. It’s hard to get a direct comparison because all the tests and numbers are different. It’s safe to say that motocross athletes are up there. In terms of physicality they are not lacking whatsoever – they are as fit as any sportsperson would need to be.

If all these riders are in such top shape and have the physical skills to dominate their sport, why is 95% of all the winning done by 5% of the riders?  And it’s the same 5% all the time.

“I assure you its not their physical skill.”

Then what is it? Its their habits and attitudes—its their Self Image. 

You Self-Image is your area of comfort you operate in.  When we get outside of our area of comfort we retract back to our target area of comfort.  If you have a stellar performance the first day of competition and its not like you to have back to back winning performances your Self-Image will tell you its not like you to have back to back winning performances and your performance suffers.  This is what we call a Self-Image correction.  The Self Image is telling you –regardless of how skilled you are its not like you to have back to back winning performances.  The Self-Image actually controls your SKILL.

The best way to change your (SI) is by changing your habits and attitudes.

Your attitude level is in direct proportion to your success.  If I have an attitude of I won’t do this or can’t do this I have a 20% – 30% chance of success.  When the attitude changes to “I think I can” you move into a 50% – 60% of success. The best athletes in the world operate in the 70% – 100% area of attitude that yields success and winning performances on a regular basis.

Olympic Gold Medalist

“They solved the riddle”

You would agree—its uncommon to win a gold medal. Its virtually something very few if any can process the act of winning the gold.  However, at the Olympic level in order to win a gold medal it must be like you to win the gold.  If its that uncommon to accomplish and its not like most to win a gold.  Then how do they do it?

In order for you to accomplish something you have never done before, you must understand how to train for something you have never done before.  Its broken down into the Three Performance Indicators.  These three indicators represent how you perform in a high-stakes situation.

THINK

How a person THINKS in a high-stakes situation will have a significant indication on how they perform.  Can they control their thoughts in a stressful situation? Olympians training daily on controlling their thoughts before, during and after each task they perform.

TRAIN  

How a person TRAINS for competition in their sport will have a significant indication on how they perform.  Olympians training model is far superior than any other athlete in the world.  Their training is designed to prepare them for winning the gold medal.  More importantly the Olympic training model is designed to grow, protect, and insulate the Self-Image.

REINFORCE  

How a person reinforces after a task has a critical impact on their performance.  How they reinforce at the end of the competition, day, week, month, year will either grow or shrink the athletes Self-Image. 

Olympians are always reinforcing the correct imprints all day long.  What they THINK about, TALK about, and WRITE about improves the probability of that thing happening.